Saturday, September 25, 2010

Using Songs for Second Language Acquistion

Let's just say that at least two professors, not both who teach French, have concurred with me on the value of using songs in the "second" (L2) language one is learning. My L2 is French. Here is a treasure trove of French songs, all by Georges Brassens.
My time is short these days, but I will come back to Georges Brassens, I'm sure. In Spanish we have a word "cantautor" (singer-author) for a singer who is also a song writer. I'll have to check to see if there is a special word for it, but I am certain that Georges classifies as singer-poet. Yes, the order of the words matters. The singing attracts our attention, but the poetry holds us.

Some of the songs are on the risqué side, such as Vénus callipyge (video on YouTube). But then, this is also a source of motivation in L2 learning!

No comments: